What is Self Care
The idea of Self Care means that you put yourself FIRST to make sure your life is happy and fulfilling. In doing so, you become more capable of helping and supporting loved ones. It all begins with how you treat yourself… physically, mentally and emotionally.
- Taking personal responsibility for one’s own physical, emotional, mental and spiritual health
- Good for your mind, body, spirit, life, and soul
- NOT selfish
- A habit that makes you flourish, not just function
- A choice
- A deliberate effort
- Making yourself a priority
- A lifelong practice
- A lifestyle
- A ritual
Self Care and Wellness
Self-care is often neglected in a modern fast paced, loud, and chaotic society. For many women, the act of self-care is a foreign concept, as we run around chasing career goals, taking care of our kids, spouses, siblings, parents, friends, and co-workers and completely forget about ourselves.
Wellness ultimately always comes down to self-care…
- Are you really taking care of yourself?
- Are all your needs met?
- Are your desires being fulfilled?
- Do you feel content, happy and balanced in your life and within yourself?
- Are all of the areas of your life receiving enough attention so as to allow wellness to develop fully and in a balanced manner?
When we can understand that our cultivation of wellness only requires that we place our attention on ourselves, in order to ascertain what is lacking, we can remove the pressure that we feel to fix everybody else’s life, or to help other people without ever giving time to ourselves.
How you take care of yourself requires thoughtful consideration and evaluation of where care is lacking, it is a personal assessment that should be honest and thorough.
- Are you managing stress?
- Are your emotional needs being met?
- Do you get enough “me” and relaxation time?
- Is your physical body at its best level of fitness?
- Are your relationships supportive and nurturing?
- Do you wake each morning feeling fulfilled and looking forward to the day?
- Are financial concerns causing you undue stress?
- Do you hate your job, and dread each morning having to face another day at work?
- Are your miserable much of the day?
- Is negative thinking affecting your happiness and that of those around you?