Aside from keeping up on haircuts and color because of split ends, unruly locks, and fading color, a lot of women admit a fresh new cut, color or style makes them feel like a new person.
Even if you can’t afford the whole shebang (color, cut & style), still splurge on at least a new cut. It really is remarkable the difference a new do can make in how you look and feel.
When you’re ready for a new do, keep these things in mind:
- What amount of time will the new do require to style it? Does that fit into your lifestyle?
- The shape of your face – not all styles look good on all face shapes. Pay attention to your face shape and research styles that are specifically created for that shape.
- Do your due diligence and research to make sure you find a stylist you feel comfortable with and can provide the results you’re looking for. Most stylists will even offer a consultation before you make the commitment to go forward. So, if you’re feeling nervous go talk to them first (show pictures of the styles you like, share any bad experiences with cuts you’ve had in the past, etc.)
What to expect from a professional haircut:
- Licensed provider – the cosmetologist must be licensed to provide services. The license should be displayed in a prominent place that is easy to see and make sure it’s up to date.
- Consultation – a good hairstylist will take some time to chat with you about what you’re looking for. While the decision is ultimately up to you, they should give advice about whether a style is good for your face shape or whether a color would be good for you as well as how hard a color/style is to maintain, etc.
- Blow dry & style – a good stylist will provide a blow out as well as styling your hair for you once they are done with the cut. It’s a great feeling to see it all come together and to look at the new ‘you’ in the mirror! (Note: most salons do charge extra for this but it’s worth it).
Doing your own hair every day becomes second nature. You probably don’t spend much time even thinking about what you’re doing. So when it comes to having a stylist do it professionally, there’s something magical about their gentle touch. A simple shampoo becomes a relaxing scalp massage. And, the final stage where they blow dry it and then style it, get lost for a few minutes and let yourself feel like a movie star!