A massage is an excellent way to have some time to relax not just physically but emotionally as well. There are probably several spas around you that offer massage services. Ask around for referrals or see if they have a website with testimonials. Spend some time researching before making up your mind. Another thing to keep in mind is that you’ll find different price points to choose from – most places have a few different time options for a massage (i.e. 30 minutes or 60 minutes). Obviously, the less the time the less the cost.
There are lots of different massage types you can choose from, but here are three of the most popular ones:
- Swedish Massage is popular in the United States and is the perfect starting point for someone who has never had a massage or someone looking for a very relaxing type of massage. In this type of massage, the therapist will use an oil or lotion as they massage and knead in long strokes as well as use circular motions too.
- Aromatherapy Massage is for the person that is under a lot of stress and has stress related ‘injuries’ (sore neck, tension in the neck/back, etc.). The therapist can choose oils that are specific for your issues but a popular one that is often used is lavender. (Note: if you don’t tolerate strong smells well, this probably isn’t the right choice for you)
- Hot Stone Massage is another popular one in the United States. Perfect for tight and tense muscles. The therapist will use warm, smooth stones to gently massage your tension areas.
What to expect when getting a professional massage:
- Licensed massage therapist – you can rest assured knowing that your therapist has been through school and training to develop their skills and ensure they know what they’re doing.
- Health history – if this is your first-time meeting with your massage therapist, they should go over any health issues you have and also talk about the areas of your concern (the areas you need massaged – back, neck, etc.) This process allows the massage therapist to create a massage that will be the most beneficial to you and your needs.
- Remove clothing/drape yourself with a blanket – it’s up to you how comfortable you are. Some people will get fully naked while others will strip down to just their underclothing. It’s totally up to you!
- Music – most massage therapists will play soft music in the background during your appointment. If you don’t like the music they’re playing, be sure to tell them. Or if you would prefer there be no music at all, let them know that as well. Remember, it’s up to you and what makes you feel the most comfortable and relaxed!
- Massage Technique – once your therapist gets started, depending on your needs and the type of massage there are many different techniques they may use. Techniques known as skin rolling, direct pressure, kneading, and gliding are some of the most popular.